Tuesday, April 16, 2013

What I'm Doing

Whenever something bad happens, I always feel that I should say something.

On the other hand I feel like an asshole for saying something because who the fuck am I to say anything about anything. I am a small person on a big planet in a small solar system, blah blah blah.

But I do make it my business to say stuff, so say something I shall.

I am always out of the loop so to speak, when it comes to newsworthy disasters.

On the day of the Newtown shootings, I went about my business, happy go lucky. It was a really good day. I called my boss and asked him how it was going and he replied, "Fine considering.." I had no idea.

My husband called and told me what had happened at 2:30. Right before getting the kids from school.

I didn't know what happened yesterday until I spoke to my boss, I asked how he was and he replied that he was glad he wasn't at the Boston Marathon. I had no idea what he meant and then he told me.

It is a terrible terrible thing. I am thinking of the families of the victims and the poor people who were there to witness it all. I cannot imagine.  I am sending prayers and good thoughts out there.

Here is what I am not going to do. I am not going to listen to the news reports about the tragedy any more than I have to.

I think it's totally fine to shut the radio off and the TV. I am not going to bring anyone back from the dead by being glued to the media frenzy.

 I am not going to crack the case. I'm not going to make anything better by torturing myself.

It's Ok to turn the news off if you you don't want to watch it.

It's totally Ok-you have my permission.

You can watch all you want of it too-that's Ok, if you like that- that is fine.

I know B will be glued to the screen tonight. I know that I will hear and learn about more than I'd care to.

I am not going to hide, I'm not going to worry. Life can be gone in a second, at any second. You just don't know.

I think it's a good practice to remember always to live like it could be your last day and you should try really hard to live it well, so that you can look back on your day and be satisfied. You gave it your best shot.

Call me morbid.

Here is what I am going to do instead.

I will go stick my head in the beehive and take my kids to the zoo. I will help my neighbors and try my hardest to be the best possible person I can be today and try to extend that out to anyone that I can.

I think that is the best way to say a hearty "Fuck you" to those people in the world that try to ruin it for the rest of us.

Fuck you assholes, you will not get me.

Patton Oswalt wrote a very eloquent piece:

http://www.upworthy.com/patton-oswalts-much-needed-love-letter-to-boston-and-the-rest-of-humanity?g=2

Hang in there my friends-the world can be a dreadful place, but also a wonderful one. Here is another story for you

http://www.hopeitw.com/inspirational/king-cobra-guards-2-puppies-inside-a-well/#sthash.cEbkK5Rc.dpbs

It will be Ok.


No comments:

Post a Comment