Monday, May 28, 2012

Irony





It is a long long weekend. Last day thank God. I am gearing up for NaNoWriMo summer camp where I take a month to write a novel with online support. My daily posts are to get me into the habit of writing every day. I dropped the ball yesterday. I only have my family to blame. They are terrific scapegoats.
A few things:

Saturday night I was watching TV with a client at work. We came across the new version of Sherlock Holmes on BBC. I have always wanted to watch the show. I watched as the fellow who was obviously Sherlock, get in a rooftop confrontation ending with **SPOILER ALERT** one man shooting himself in the mouth and Sherlock taking a nosedive off of the building. I frantically called a friend, who reassured me that Sherlock was faking his death and that there will be a season 3. It's funny, I always want to know what happens at the end of a movie and will make people tell me. I will flip ahead at some point with every book I read. But I gotta say I was a little disappointed finding out the big finale this time. I watched the first episode of season 1 and am now officially hooked.
Von wanted to watch it with me yesterday morning. I said no because there was too much violence. He said,"I love violence!" I said there were dead people. He said,"I love dead people!" I said it was boring because all it was about was a bunch of adults talking. He said, "Oh..Ok" and went back to his video game.

Moving on.
I never wrote about the moment in which I truly understood the meaning of irony. It was always one of those things where I thought I might understand it, but I never used the word for fear of getting it wrong. I know that Alanis Morrisette did. I overheard someone talking about how the things she sung about in that song weren't all that ironic. They said that rain on your wedding day isn't ironic unless you had your wedding in Arizona just to avoid the rain and it ends up raining. I got it, but I just didn't feel it. Irony was a word to be feared for me and avoided because I hate looking/sounding like a dumb ass. (Yeah yeah yeah-how ironic, I sound like a dumb ass just writing about how I don't like to sound like a dumb-ass).

I made plans to go to a different coffee place with a friend. We had been meeting at Starbucks and decided on a change of pace for the next time we met. I thought of suggesting one place that I usually go to. It is my friends business and I love supporting her. I decided against it because there was an acquaintance of mine that frequents that place. I used to meet a different friend there and the acquaintance would show up and hang out with me and my friend and talk..a lot. And always show up when we met. And talk..a lot. I decided to suggest a different place solely to avoid this person.
Imagine my surprise when I looked up from my cup to see who else, but the person standing across the room and smiling at me.
And that's how I got to really understand irony down to the tips of my toes.


The children are up. Gardening, BJ's with Horst and work beckon. Better get on with it



No comments:

Post a Comment