Saturday, May 12, 2012

Long Day

I don't like Saturdays. It has been my long work day for the past 11 years. In 2001, I began to work in a group home. I came from working a Mon-Fri 8-4 gig at a day program from disabled adults. In order to go to school, I gave up my weekends entirely. 11 years later, I still give up a major portion of my weekend so that my husband and I can be on opposite shifts. I do not like the stress of worrying about having to miss work for sick children,snow days and doctor appointments.

But it means that I work 16 hours on a Saturday, when the rest of the world is having fun. Most of my time off is used for Saturday activities that I normally can't do. I'm used to the long day and most times I do get to sit for a bit during my shift. I gotta say though, on most Friday night and early Saturday mornings, I think to myself that this long shift is getting really old.

Off to work and whatever horrors lay in store for me.



No comments:

Post a Comment