Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Happy New Year!

My favorite New Year's sentiment-written by G a few years back on our chalkboard.

It has been a tough few days, getting back into the swing of regular life after the holiday craziness. Yesterday was a day filled with a lot of self doubt, with the little voice that lives in my head asking me why I even bother doing anything.

No, not the psycho, mentally ill voice. Just the little voice of doubt that everyone has. The one that always seems to pipe up when you are going to try something new, or things aren't going quite the way you hoped.

I spent yesterday doing a whole lot of nothing, but again very busy trying to squash that tiny voice. I guess I did it because here I am this morning, up before the family, with my old man's sweater on.

I worked last night, I missed the ball drop. I don't mind. I am happy to hear that G made it to midnight for her first time that didn't involve vomiting or a case of explosive diarrhea.

It's amazing how time flies. There is this saying-The days are long but the years are short.

I just realized that I don't think that G has ever woken up with explosive diarrhea so scratch that one. She has only been up at midnight to vomit.

For the record-she hasn't shit the bed since she was a baby, so don't think that she is regularly incontinent either.

So, in keeping in what I guess is a tradition of many people, here is my "reflection" for last year. Some really bad things happened. Really bad. Thankfully, my family pulled through unscathed. Some nice things happened so that was good.

I kept my resolution from last year. For the first time ever.

I know, deep and profound, right?

I will say that I have chosen a word for next year. I will try not to sound too flaky, but I like the idea of having a word to guide you, to remind you for the coming year. I think it's even better than a resolution in some ways, although I made one of those as well. Actually several.

And here I thought this was going to be a short post. I guess I'm hitting my stride.

My word for the year of 2013 is Door.

Door because of the many that we shut, the many we leave open a crack, although we need to shut them or open them wider. The ones that we need to open although it is difficult and we are very afraid of what may or may not be on the other side. (Ever notice that the little voice of doubt is always very loud at the thresh hold?).

Here is a nice door



One of my favorite books from this past year involved a lost princess who could open any door she wanted.

My resolutions are the typical silly things that people resolve. I resolve to take 15 minutes out of most days to devote time to tasks that I have been avoiding for forever. I also resolve to take more cat naps if I feel tired.

I also resolve to say nicer things about my dumb ass dog.

My father in law was appalled this past week after being a part of a conversation that featured my dog.

We were watching one of those shows about animals of different species forming bonds. One story was about a male deer raised by people. When he grew up, he would go to the woods, but come back to visit.

His family worried that he would be shot during hunting season, so they put a big red collar on him and hung signs around the town with the deers picture asking people not to shoot him. His name was "Bucky".

B made a comment about sending Gus, our dumb dog, into the woods during hunting season. I countered that we could send him in with fake antlers on and I could knit him a sweater with a bulls-eye on the side.

My father-in-law shook his head at me and said that I was a cold, cold woman.

He went to bed shortly after that.

This was good because B and I entertained ourselves for a while after he left the room with how great it would be to get a pair of ridiculous plush antlers for Gus and the sweater. We could hang up signs with a picture of him dressed as a deer with the caption reading, "If you shoot this dog, please call (insert phone number) to claim your reward".

I am kidding. Both about the resolution and wanting him shot. For the most part. My only way to cope with that dog is to say mean things about him. It keeps me from actually being mean. He responds very well to my string of profanities that I throw at him in a happy high pitched voice. He also comes with his tail wagging when I call out, "Dumb Motherfucker!"



He's got it pretty good-I promise. He has actually gotten a lot better, behavior wise over the past year. Maybe he kept his resolution? Heh hah...

I'll come back a bit later and leave you with my traditional book list for the year. I think it's a good number!

No comments:

Post a Comment